Art Gallery of South Australia
The Art Gallery of South Australia holds one of Australia’s finest art collections, housed in one of Adelaide’s most beautiful historic buildings. It is centrally located on leafy North Terrace between the South Australian Museum and the University of Adelaide, and has been an important cultural focus since its establishment in 1881, only forty-five years after the first European settlers arrived.
The Elder Wing, the original building, was designed in 1897 and opened in early 1900. In 1936 the two level Melrose Wing was added, another wing at the back of the Gallery opened in 1962, and the West Wing extensions, which doubled the size of the Gallery, opened in March 1996.
The new West Wing houses collection display space, the temporary exhibitions gallery, Bookshop, and Restaurant. There are several areas available for hire which are suitable for a variety of functions, including a lecture theatre.
The Art Gallery is located on leafy North Terrace approximately half way between Kintore Avenue and Frome Road between the South Australian Museum and the University of Adelaide.